Working in IT is always stressful. But over the last year and a half, many IT professionals have been forced to deal with unprecedented pressure, expectations, and deadlines. And even though things on the pandemic front appear to be easing up, the stress is not going to just fade away. In fact, things will probably get even more stressful as organizations race to make up for lost time and missed opportunities.
Last month, we asked our amazing community members (that would be YOU) to share their best advice on coping with stress. As we had hoped, the responses were fantastic — and there were plenty of them!
Below, we present a long list of your top stress-busting tips. Those marked ** were recommended at least five times. Those marked with * were recommended at least twice.
- Get more exercise (various kinds, such jogging/running, swimming, boxing, etc.). **
- Go for a walk. **
- Spend quality time with family and friends. **
- Go out for a long ride on a mountain bike, e-scooter, or motorcycle. *
- Watch favorite/new TV shows and movies. **
- Play video games. **
- Do more gardening and yardwork. *
- Read books (fiction and non-fiction). *
- Learn something new, like Golang programming. *
- Play board games. *
- Try looking at life from a different angle, in order to better understand what is causing so much stress.
- Buy an ice cream and feel what it tastes like — don’t just eat it.
- Go on holidays.
- Get away from the computer.
- Read some Devolutions articles (thanks Edwin, we’re glad you enjoy them!).
- Watch YouTube videos/channels to learn about cultures and interests.
- Go backpacking.
- Go shopping.
- Enjoy favorite foods.
- Do yoga.
- Take care of horses.
- Work on a side project.
- Go outside and breathe.
And the Winners Are…
You’re ALL winners, because you’ve identified some simple, yet powerful ways to reduce stress. Please pat yourself on the back. And don’t worry, even if sometimes your non-IT colleagues and customers don’t fully appreciate you (or they just don’t understand what you do!), here at Devolutions we admire each of you. You are the unsung heroes in your organizations — without you, critical systems would come to a grinding halt, end users would panic, hackers would invade, and everything would get thrown into chaos. Tina Turner was right: you’re simply the best!
Now, let’s reveal the two lucky poll participants who were randomly selected to each win a $25 Amazon gift card. Congratulations to Philippe Nault and Simon Smith! Please email me to claim your prize (please also note that when this is published, I will be out of the office for a few days; but I will respond as soon as I get back!).
Thank you to everyone who participated in the poll. We hope that you find some good new stress-busting tips to add to your life.
Please stay tuned for the July poll, which will be published very soon!