October was Cybersecurity Awareness Month, but the way things are these days, it might make more sense to make this annual education event EVERY month of the year. Consider these alarming statistics:
- Data breaches exposed 4.1 billion records in the first half of 2019.
- Security breaches have increased by 11% since 2018 and 67% since 2014.
- Hackers attack every 39 seconds, or an average of 2,244 times a day.
- The average cost of a data breach is $3.92 million as of 2019.
- 34% of data breaches in 2019 involved internal actors.
- 1 in 13 web requests lead to malware.
- 43% of breach victims in 2019 were small businesses.
To help reduce the risk and keep companies, customers, reputations, and budgets safe, last month we asked you to share your best cybersecurity tips. Here is a recap of the responses, which were all excellent and relevant:
- Train and re-train all end users on good cybersecurity practices and processes — especially when it comes to “think before you click.” Cybersecurity needs to be everyone’s priority, not just IT!
- Always keep a reliable backup of your valuable data.
- Don’t assume breaches only happen to other companies! All businesses, including and especially small firms, need enterprise-grade security infrastructure (anti-virus/anti-malware software, firewall devices, PAM systems, etc.).
- Use a secure login method like MFA.
- Use a reliable password management tool.
- Choose long, complex passphrases rather than passwords.
- Set granular permissions by using Role-Based Access Control (RBAC).
- Implement Zero Trust (ZT) architecture.
- Implement the Principle of Least Privilege (POLP).
- Stay aware of the latest security news and developments.
- Keep all software regularly updated.
While there is no way to 100% eliminate the risk of a cyberattack, following this advice will substantially lower the risk, duration, and severity of a breach.
We also invite you to read our NEW REPORT, “The State of Cybersecurity in SMBs in 2020,” which explores trends, practices, expectations and targeted recommendations. Click here to learn more.
The Winners Are…
First, you’re ALL winners because you are Cybersecurity Superheroes who protect your company and end users from hackers.
Now, let’s reveal the two randomly selected participants who have each won a $25 Amazon gift card. Congratulations Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji and Flips 4 Fun! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
Thank you to everyone who responded to the October poll. Stay tuned for the November poll, which will be posted very soon.