The number of gamers is expected to reach 2.725 billion by 2021 (or about 1 in every 3 people on earth), and the global video game industry is projected to reach $300 billion in annual revenues by 2025. For sure, things have come a long way since researchers at MIT released the first real video game in 1962 called “Space Wars.”
And speaking of video games: last month we asked you to list the best gaming console and tell us why. As we had hoped, there were plenty of responses and some really interesting comments.
PC for the Win
A whopping 70% of you are big PC fans. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Lots of variety, including strategic games with a long play window
- Plenty of freedom, including the ability to play older console games with emulators
- More control and accuracy when using keyboard/mouse
- Great performance and graphics
- Easily upgradable
- Multi-player doesn’t require a subscription
- Many websites sell game bundles
- Some of the game prices are lower vs. other consoles, and there are frequent sales
- You don’t need to pay for a service to play online
Not surprisingly, PS4 also received votes for best console. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Downloading updates is fast
- Familiarity (i.e. using a PlayStation for years)
- Great interface and controller
- You don’t have to pay extra to play online with some games (e.g. Fortnite, Call of Duty Warzone, Apex Legends, etc.)
- A subscription to PS4 Now is inexpensive and you can play any game in the collection for a month
Some other great consoles made the list as well, including Xbox, Nintendo 3DS, and Nintendo Switch (especially when playing with family and kids).
Words of Wisdom
While PC obviously wins the Most Popular Console Award, we loved the words of wisdom from Peter Dornauer, who wrote: “But Hey -> Who cares which console is the Best, we are all also Gamers and that should connect us, not divide :-)”.
You are 100% right Peter! Video games should bring people together in a shared experience of fun, excitement, imagination, and enjoyment (of course, that only holds true until you’re on opposite sides in League of Legends!).
The Winners Are
And now, let’s announce the two lucky winners who will each receive a $25 gift card for the gaming platform of their choice (e.g. PlayStation Store, Microsoft, Steam, etc.). Congratulations to alex schimmer and Nick D.! Please email me to claim your prize.
Thank you to everyone who participated in this month’s poll. The July poll will be available soon. Until then, happy gaming!