By now, you’ve either decided that you love the Game of Thrones series finale, or it was the worst thing you’ve seen since Battlefield Earth. That means we can move on to other priorities, such as the results of May’s poll question.
As you may remember, last month we asked you to share the definition of a true geek. Not a pseudo geek, a partial geek, or a nerd in geek’s clothing. A TRUE GEEK.
Definition of a Geek
As we had hoped, you came up with plenty of interesting responses. If we put them all together (like in a kind of geek blender), a geek is someone who…
- …is very passionate about technology, gadgets, video games, tabletop games, and other aspects of geek culture.
- …is highly knowledgeable about a few specific areas of expertise, and generally knowledgeable about pretty much everything else (or can quickly learn if they need to).
- …gets super excited about geeky topics.
- …understands geek humor.
- …is different and unique compared to the masses and mainstream society.
- …spends time on the Devolutions website (nice one, FFournier!)
Geeks for Life
If there is a common theme that ties all of the responses together, it’s that being a geek is not something that you try to become. It’s something that you are. It’s like a calling. It’s a MOVEMENT!
And what’s more, it’s something that all of you (and all of us here at Devolutions) take a lot of pride in. In the past, geeks were kind of persecuted at school, at work, and everywhere else. But geeks are now taking over. Don’t you think Game of Thrones would have been better with Geek Walkers instead of White Walkers? Hmmm…maybe George R.R. Martin can do a spinoff and call it Game of Geeks (and instead of sitting on an iron throne, the winner gets to enjoy one year without any configuration management problems).
And the Winners Are…
First of all, you are all winners because you’re true geeks. You make the world smarter and cooler. Now, for the two lucky winners who will each get a $25 Amazon gift card….drum roll please…congratulations goes to Jon Tankersley and Marius Sparby! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
And please stay tuned for the June poll, which will be published soon.