“Thanks to Remote Desktop Manager, we no longer have to provide users with privileged account passwords. As a Security Analyst, this is great news and very important!” – Aditya Dandu, Security Analyst – Identity and Access Management, International Paper
Client Snapshot: International Paper
International Paper is one of the world’s leading producers of fiber-based packaging, pulp and paper, with more than 70,000 employees across 24 countries. The multinational enterprise creates:
- Packaging products that protect and promote goods, enabling worldwide commerce and keeping consumers safe;
- Pulp for diapers, tissue and other personal hygiene products that promote health and wellness;
- Papers that facilitate education and communication.
International Paper’s Challenges:
Previously, International Paper’s IT team exclusively used CyberArk to RDP into more than 400 servers. However, this was triggering several key issues that included:
- Administrative Challenges: Each new session opened in a new window, and CyberArk did not offer a thumbnail view. As such, toggling between sessions was time-consuming and tedious.
- Compliance Challenges: Some users with access to privileged accounts did not like the way CyberArk connects to servers; as such, they were copying passwords in order to RDP from their local machine.
- Auditing Challenges: Due to the above workaround, the IT team could not audit session activity. This made it difficult to isolate specific user activity and track changes.
International Paper’s Solution: Remote Desktop Manager
To solve the challenges noted above, International Paper developed an in-house tool through PowerShell that was designed to grab privilege account credentials, but without requiring users to sign into CyberArk. However, this tool triggered additional issues and problems. That is when International Paper discovered Remote Desktop Manager (RDM) and decided to give it a try. They quickly confirmed that it was the complete and sustainable long-term solution they needed.
International Paper has been using Remote Desktop Manager for approximately six months, and the organization continues to enjoy benefits and advantages that include:
- Easily and quickly toggling between sessions through RDM’s tabs or thumbnail views.
- Enabling end users to connect to servers without having to log into CyberArk or be given privileged account passwords.
- Ensuring that the IT team has full audit capability over all sessions (end users are no longer working around CyberArk by launching RDP sessions from their local machine). Session recording views are also much better and larger than those provided by CyberArk.
- Enhancing RDM’s functionality and versatility by integrating AIM applications, database services, and multiple other apps that International Paper company uses on a daily bass.
Comments Aditya Dandu, International Paper’s Security Analyst – Identity and Access Management:
“We are impressed with the integrations that are provided by Remote Desktop Manager, and we also like how Devolutions keeps on adding new integrations to support additional business needs. However, the biggest advantage is very clear: thanks to Remote Desktop Manager, we no longer have to provide users with privileged account passwords. As a Security Analyst, this is great news and very important!”