Last month, we asked you to share the Windows commands that every IT pro should know.
Since many of you are Windows power users, we were hoping for some good feedback. However, the quality of responses exceeded our expectations! Thank you to everyone who participated and helped make this one of our best polls ever.
A New Twist This Month
As you know, usually this is where I highlight some of the great comments. But I’m not going to do that this month, and here’s why: I was so inspired by the responses that I’m in the process of compiling a Master List of Windows Keyboard Shortcuts and Commands (including PowerShell).
There will be well over 50 entries on this Holy Grail, and it might even surpass 100. Also, I’ve reached out to the Spiceheads in our Spiceworks community, and will be including their responses as well.
I’ll be posting the Master List in the coming days, and will update this blog with the link. Stay tuned!
In the Meantime, Here are My Favorites
Thanks to your responses, I learned some valuable new Windows commands. Here are the ones that I added to my toolkit right away:
- Diskpart – Run Disk Management Console
- Ipconfig/release – Release the current IP configuration
- Ipconfig/renew – Assign a new IP address for your computer
- Ping – Test the ability of the source computer to reach a specified destination computer
- Netstat – Show detailed network status information
- Tracert – Show several details about the path that a packet takes from the computer or device you're using, to whatever destination you specify
- Runas – Allows you to run specific tools and programs under a different username
- Cleanmgr – Open Disk Cleanup Window
Once again, please stay tuned for the Master List, which I’ll be posting shortly. It will hopefully be a very useful reference for all of you.
And the Winners Are…
Now I know what you’re thinking: getting a Master List of Windows commands and shortcuts is great, but winning a $25 Amazon gift card is truly life changing! Well, OK — maybe not life-changing, but you can buy some cool stuff, like an R2D2 measuring cup set (for when members of the alliance stop by and you need to make delicious Jedi-quality muffins).
So, may I have the envelope please…the winners are Jonathan Cauthorn and ''Mike''. Congratulations! Please send me an email at email@example.com to claim your prize.
And if you didn’t win this time, don’t despair — the August poll is dropping soon!