Hi everyone. By the time you read this, I’ll be on holiday! And this year, I’ll be even more prepared than ever thanks to your great responses to our June poll question, where we asked for your advice on how you get ready to go on vacation.
Your Tips & Tricks
There were many great responses. Here are some of the common themes:
- Hand over everything in an orderly manner to your colleagues (and hope they won’t repay your kindness by turning off the firewall and unleashing chaos!).
- Set email/phone out-of-office autoreplies.
- Brag about going on vacation (nice, Tommy Boucher!)
- Clear personal task list.
- Remove yourself from ring groups for 24h emergency calls (wise move, bjornjul!)
- Pack at least 1 package of bacon jerky — because you never know when you’re going to need emergency bacon (right, Ben Liebowitz?).
I also loved Brent Quick’s response: “What is this strange word, ‘Vacation’ and what does it mean. My son seems to have one starting now, but that is the only reference I can seem to find at my home...”
Don’t worry, Brent. It’s like riding a bike. You never truly forget. One of these days you will re-encounter a vacation and experience the joy of heading off to a place with no email, just like FFournier.
There are more great tips — and some really hilarious responses — that I encourage you to read (I couldn’t list them all here because there were so many). Simply click here and scroll down for the full list.
But before I go, I want to paste the response by Daniel Casañas in its entirety, because it was such a lovely blend of responsibility and revenge:
- Inform the entire company two months in advance that I am going to take a vacation.
- Dedicate that week to reducing the high level of stress that my decision produced throughout the company.
- Advance all internal and external priority meetings, and delegate the others.
- Use the rest of the time to assure everyone (including clients) that I will always be one call away to help with any inconvenience when they ask for me (on average 30 times a day), and that there will be internet connection wherever I have planned to go.
- It's because of all this that I almost never take vacations ...
- Oh, my office has a biometric lock: P and my revenge is always epic!! Mua ha ha ha ha !!!
IT pros truly are amazingly smart. You rock Daniel!
Of course, the biggest winners are the ones leaving for a vacation. But winning an Amazon gift card is pretty good, too. And this month’s lucky winners are… Philippe Nault and Daniel Casañas! Congratulations to both of you!
And if you didn’t win, don’t worry — our July poll is right around the corner. Stay tuned!