Summer is almost here, and that means many of you will be heading on vacation to get away from work — although, like Sysadminotaur’s Maurice, sometimes work chases you no matter where you go, or your boss calls you at 2am to solve an emergency that is absolutely NOT an emergency.
But still, it’s a good idea to take a few pre-vacation precautions to minimize the risk that your vacation gets interrupted. A little planning can also allow you to enjoy yourself instead of worrying about what is going on back at work. And that brings us to this month’s poll question: How do you get ready for your vacation?
I’ll get the ball rolling with a few possibilities:
- Create an autoreply or redirect for your email and voicemail.
- Write detailed procedures for more complicated tasks.
- Make sure you have a complete To do list of your routine tasks so nothing is forgotten while you're away.
- Get as many high priority tasks done as possible before you go.
- Delegate projects to colleagues.
- If you have special access permissions, make sure someone with the same permissions is present at the office during your time away. If not, make sure you can connect to the internal network from abroad.
- Get rid of any forgotten lunches in your drawers (you don’t want to come back and find a HazMat crew cleaning your workstation).
- Get your work area prank proofed (this is VERY important if you work around here!).
You Could Win
By sharing your best vacation preparation tips, you’ll help your fellow IT pros have a more relaxing and fun getaway from work. After all, isn’t that what vacations are for? Plus, just by participating you could WIN one of two $25 Amazon gift cards. We’ll announce some of the responses and the winners at the end of the month.