However, sometimes it’s a good idea to try something new. And guess what? We have an idea that you might enjoy! Here’s our suggestion: keep your comfy chair and head to the kitchen table to play a board game with family or friends.
Now, some of you might think board games are pretty lame. Maybe that’s because your experience has been limited to Monopoly and Payday. If so, then I don’t blame you for being less than excited. I’m not saying these games are bad, but they’re pretty old school. These days, however, there are many creative and challenging games that will totally change your mind, and turn you into a board game lover like me!
Questions to ask
There are a few factors to consider when you’re choosing the ideal game to fit your needs, and rekindle your love of board games. Here’s what we recommend you clear up:
- How old are the players? Some choices are better for kids than adults (and vice versa!). If you’re going to play with kids, games like Operation, Mouse Trap or Life are great options. Your kids will have a blast, and so will you!
- How many people will be playing? Is it going to be a 2-player contest or a group?
- Do you want to play against your friends or with them? Teamwork is fun, but really, what’s more rewarding than having your friends beg for board game-induced mercy?
- How long do you want to play for? You don’t want to plan for a 30 minute session when the game will take 2 hours (or maybe longer).
- Do you want a complex game with a lot of rules and elements, or a relatively simple game?
Answering the above questions will help you focus on the ideal board game (or games), and turn you into a board game lover!
To give you some help, here’s a list of some of the best games out there, along with links so you can learn more:Best two-player games:
- Caverna: The cave farmer (20-210 min / 1-7 players)
- Star Wars: Imperial Assault (60-120 min / 2-5 players)
- 7 Wonders (30 min / 2-7 players)
- Blood Rage (60-90 min / 2-4 players)
- Five Tribes (40-80 mins / 2-4 players)
- Through the ages: A new story of civilization (180-240 min / 2-4 players)
- Cyclades (60 min / 2-5 players)
- Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy (60 min / 2-4 players)
- Zombicide (40-120 min / 1-6 players)
- Dead of Winter (45-210 min / 2-5 players)
- Mysterium (40 min / 2-7 players)
Need some more advice? Silver Oak Casino has created an amazing flowchart. Just start at the top and answer each question with a "yes" or "no". You’ll end up finding the perfect board game! Simply click on it to see the full chart!